Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Voki Avatar





When I was on my three week block, I put together a mini unit on volcanoes. Putting my virtual self on a class web page would have been a great way to introduce what the class would be studying next. I could learn to love voki. I get to change my outfit, hair colour, eye colour and everything without spending a cent. My new outfit could match whatever unit I was teaching. How would I get my students to stop messing with this wonderful tool if I find it hard to.
A great engaging tool don't you think?
These Avatars are popping up everywhere. Since learning about this wonderful tool, my fellow students have been embedding them, very creatively I might say, into their presentations of late. Siemen (2005) argues that the education field has been slow to recognize the impact of new learning tools and the environmental changes in what it means to learn. That's not the case at CQU Noosa, the wonderful Learning Managers in training are embracing their new found learning skills and tasks, which means only one thing, they will flourish in this digital era. Cheers

Avatar. Retrieved July 6th, 2009, from http://www.voki.com/

Siemens, G (2005). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. Retrieved 13th August, 2009 from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda,

    Your avatar looks really cool. I like the sparkles. I have yet to accept the challenge of producing my own avatar as yet, but the time is coming and I am looking forward to it.

    Regards
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    I think avatars are an amazing tool to use in the classroom and I am glad I have learnt how to create them I will be using them in my 2 week block this year.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete