Friday, August 14, 2009

The Mystery of the Human Skeleton

The Mystery of the Human Skeleton
Shared via AddThis

National Science Week 2009 runs between 15 - 23 August. Most schools around the nation take part in this national festival, planning a range of activities for their students. My year 6 class has conducted a science experiment or investigation each week, in readiness for science week next week. The culminating activity next week involves the year 6's presenting their experiments and investigations to the year 3 students. One of these investigation involved the skeleton, exploring how our bones, muscles and ligaments hold us together. This TeacherTube clip could have been used as the hook to engage students at the start of this particular lesson. If only I knew how to use this technology before now.
I had trouble embedding this clip into my Blog. For some reason the code would not paste into my post. I had to download the clip to my computer, then upload it to my Blog. This took me a few hours to work out how to do this. Prensky (2001) would call me a digital immigrant. Having not spent my entire life surrounded by and using computers, mobile phones, and all the other toys and tools of the digital age, at times I find these tasks, time consumning and frustrating. I need the instructions or someone next to me guiding me thought the processes. Or maybe I don't, I did eventually work out how to do it for myself. Persistence isn't that what Marzano and Pickering (1997) suggest?

Marzano, R. J. & Pickering, D. J. (1997). Dimensions of learning: Teacher’s manual. (2nd ed.). Aurora, Col: ASCD & McREL.

Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants.
From On the Horizon (MCB University Press, Vol. 9 No. 5, October 2001).

No comments:

Post a Comment